Marketing data analysis is a technique where the business will take all the available information regarding the market and come up with a marketing plan. It is a very vital piece of activity for any sort of business. It also shows you how well you have done in the market using your current marketing techniques. It shows the progress and results of the past.
Marketing data analysis also focuses on external and internal factors. It takes into consideration the strengths and weaknesses of the company and how they fare in the market you are going to compete in. Marketing data analysis gathers information from all marketing channels and consolidates it into one common marketing view.
Why is marketing data analysis important?
When you are an investor or even an entrepreneur you need to know what you are getting yourself into. You need to have all the data to back up your goal or vision for the company. For this reason, you need to do a marketing analysis.
You check for profitability. If the market is showing signs of return on investment you will be encouraged to invest heavily. Similarly if the market isn’t profitable then you will hesitate for wasting your time and resources.
You try to understand the customers. You try to find out what it is that they want and try to provide them with that exact product or services.
You try to find out who your real competitors are. You make sure you calculate all the risks that may arise.
For all these reasons, marketing data analysis is so important. It gives you an insight into the market you are about to get involved in. Not only that. Marketing data analysis is also important for people who are already working in the market. For them, its gives an overall report on how your company has done. It shows how much room for improvement there is.
What can we do with marketing data analysis?
There are a lot of things one can do using the marketing data analysis. For instance, it gives you an idea as to how the market is doing. It provides you with knowledge regarding the market you are going to get involve in. On the other hand, it provides you the answer to such questions;
- How are the marketing initiatives for our company doing today?
- How well will it do in the long run?
- Is there any room for improvements?
- What can be done to improve the current performance?
- How well are our competitors doing?
- Is there something different that they are doing but not us?
- Should we rethink our approach?
- Are our resources being efficiently used?
- Do we need to invest our time and money in something different?
- What should our main priorities be?
These are some of the questions that a company must face while doing business. These are all important questions and need careful thinking before answering. Using the marketing data analysis, the company can answer them easily. It makes it easier for the company to perform when the answer to such questions are known.
Three Stages of analysis
To get the most out of the marketing data analysis, one has to do the analysis of three different stages of the market. You look into the information of the past, the present, and the future. This way you get the best result possible for you to strategize and perform better in the market.
- Reports of the past: By using the analysis of the past you get to know which project performed better than the others. You find out which strategy helped generate more money for the company. Also, you get to find out which things did not succeed as much as it should. This way you avoid making the same error.
- Analyzing the current market: Marketing data analysis of the present allows you to understand the current market better. It helps you to understand which methods are working fine. Answers questions like how the customers are responding to your marketing plan. It gives an answer as to what improvements you can implement to perform better.
- Predicting the future: Marketing data analysis can help you give an idea regarding the future. It looks into trends and growths in the current market and makes assumptions based on that. This in turn allows the company to set marketing plans for the future. You can even affect the current market to ensure the future remains intact. Customer loyalty and return on investments are things which can be affected in the present time to ensure that you get better results in the future.
Act on the Data
Doing the marketing data analysis and finding all the information is pointless if you decide not to act on it. You gather all the data and analyze it. You come up with solutions and improvement ideas. But if you don’t implement those ideas then it is pretty much a waste of your time and energy.
Marketing data analysis is basically a dominoes effect. You find out the information. You act on that information. This in turn leads to improvement in performance levels. Thus, your whole company starts to get better. Marketing strategies become better and so does your management.
Image: Sergey Nivens/Shutterstock.com